Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

In my Kitchen - May




The two oldest children went back to school on Monday after a two week break over Easter, so I've been on the hunt for some new lunchbox treat ideas.   I came across this lovely blog, The Lunch Lady, which had an interesting sounding recipe for brownies using Zucchinis.  The kids loved them and I'm happy because I can sneak some veggies into their 'treats'.  I don't think my zucchinis were moist enough though, so next time I make these I'll add another one.  I also tried out her Oaty Flapjacks and sprinkled Chia and Pumpkin seeds on top.  Butter, golden syrup and oats are always a winner.



There are always flowers of some kind on my windowsill or kitchen bench.  I love having a little bit of nature inside; sometimes picked from our garden or foraged during our daily wanders.  Today there is some Rosemary on the kitchen window sill - picked from our garden and growing roots.  I'm also experimenting with the end of a baby Cos lettuce.  I've put it in a glass of water, and wouldn't you know it, it's growing some new leaves.



Continuing on with my love of fermenting, I tried Sauerkraut for the first time.  I had high hopes, but unfortunately my first attempt didn't work.  I don't think I mushed up the cabbage enough, so there wasn't enough liquid for the cabbage to sit in.  I'm inspired by the lovely Brydie over at City Hippy Farm Girl blog, so I'm not giving up with this one just yet.



With the cooler weather I have been trying out new soup recipes.  I came across this recipe for Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup at Damn Delcious blog which was delicious.  The juice of a lemon is added just before serving and really gives it a lovely little kick.  I've also made the Cauliflower Chowder from the same blog, which was my favourite; thick, creamy and so very, very tasty.



Its apple and pear season too, so I've been making the most of their sweetness and using them in baking.  I love making the Normandy Apple Cake from Jane Websters book, At My French Table.  This is one of my absolute favourite recipe/travel books.  It has the most stunning photographs, and beautiful, simple recipes.  The pages are thick and textured and it smells like a book should; all papery and lush.  And it's French.  Need I say more?

What's happening in your kitchen this month? 
Tina x

I'm joining in again with Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and taking a peak in to kitchens all over the world. 

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of sprouting lettuce. Fresh leaves for longer...excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually just replanted it into the garden - it is now even healthier looking and growing more leaves!

      Delete
  2. Oh oh Tina! I could eat these photos... so much deliciousness happening in your kitchen! Sorry about the sauerkraut not working... I found making a big batch in a large ceramic crock pot works best - and weighing the cabbage down with a plate and a big jug full of water so that all the liquid pushes up over the cabbage (by the by, really fresh cabbage will produce more liquid - but you can add extra salted water if you need it) - then cover it with cheese cloth in a dark spot somewhere to sit for a week or more. I am looking forward to buying some farm-fresh seasonal produce at the markets this Sunday; quinces and fennel bulb, potatoes and celeriac hopefully! So So lovely to see you today xx Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flapjacks look fabulous Tina, but sorry to hear the sauerkraut didn't work! And it really has turned into soup weather recently, hasn't it? Love the idea of lemon added to the soup at the last minute.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia x I'll have another go at the sauerkraut - I've been given a few more tips, so we'll see how the next batch turns out. I can really recommend the soup too, I loved the creaminess of the Cauliflower Chowder. Very satisfying.

      Delete
  4. I've just made a batch of chicken stock, that I was just going to put in the freezer. Now I think I may make that soup -it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was well worth it Anne. It didn't take long to whip up either. Good on you making your own chicken stock too!

      Delete
  5. Tina, your windowsill garden is lovely. I've been trying to coax some rosemary to "root" (trimmed my overgrown plant recently) and you've given me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I hope you have some luck with your rosemary too x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment ❤