Pages

Monday 23 December 2013

On my hook this week...

Over the last week or so I've been finishing off a few projects - mainly little Christmas gifts and decorations.  I've found the gentle rhythm of crocheting to be soothing amongst all the craziness that this time of year can bring.

I made these little balls for my 4 month old baby for Christmas, using the pattern from Nicki Trench's book, Cute and Easy Crochet (love, love, love, this book).  I must admit that I was a bit hesitant at first - I'm not sure why now because they were rather easy and fun.  I put a bell in each of them along with the stuffing, so they'll rattle when she shakes them.




A few years ago our family decided not to buy Christmas presents for the adults, but instead give the money we would have spent on a gift to a charity of our choice.  I always get a little something for my parents though, so the children can give something instead of just receiving.  This year I thought I would crochet this little basket to put mum's gift in rather than using wrapping - that way she can re-use the basket.  There are plenty of tutorials on the web for crochet baskets - for this basket I did four rounds of half double crochet (US terms) for the base and then 5 rows of half doubles and then two rows of double crochets, finishing with a row of half doubles. 




I found the pattern for this lovely little Christmas tree at One dog Woof.  There are three different sizes which are made to go over wine and champagne corks - how clever is that!!  You could really jazz them up by adding little coloured seed beads for lights,  embroider little stars on them or use sticks for the trunk.   I plan on making a few more when I get a chance - wouldn't a cluster of them look fabulous??  Maybe with a little deer standing amongst them...... 





What have you been up to?? Have you been able to get some hooking time in amongst all the Christmas preparation??

Tina x






2 comments:

  1. Love the little balls and the baskets. The colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment ❤